This post is also available in: Spanish
Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s Daily Suhbah
23th October 2010, Saturday
Those who Seek, shall Find
(Maulana had actually given his last mass Suhbah on the 20th of October 2010, where he called upon humankind to become Divine Ones, Robbaniyyun. This Summary is for an impromptu Suhbah that was given in response to the shock waves that reverberated across the Naqshbandi Tariqat followers, following two shock announcements in Maulana’s landmark final mass Suhbah – that the Suhbahs were to be discontinued with immediate effect, and that arbitrary lines dividing the believers into different sects/tariqahs/ideologies no longer existed; Man is now either a Divine one or shaitanic one, there is no middle ground. The fact that the words Sufi/Naqshbandi/Haqqani/Qadiri/Salafi etc were expressions that would be replaced by that single term, Robbani, and this was to be till Qiyamat, left many mureeds and muheebs uneasy and fearful, as it heralded the approach of the cataclysmic events of the end of times. In this Suhbah dated 23rd October, Maulana appeared weak and tired, at times he looked sad and resigned.)
A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Man’s honour, Maulana says, is that they have been invited to the Divine Presence. Allah sent His Most honoured servants, the Prophets, to extend this invitation to Mankind, and to show them the Way to such an unprecedented honour. Allah Almighty created us, and from His endless Mercy and Grants, He is inviting us to be honoured – Allah is inviting every Child of Adam, and Allah is bestowing more honour by addressing us, for it is a supreme honour to be spoken to by a King! Yet, instead of running to accept such an Invitation of Honour, Man is running away from Allah, away from the Merciful one who has granted us life and existence! Maulana says, these are the most despicable of humans, for if a human being were to understand the honour of this Divine Invitation, he should fall into prostration (sajdah), and remain there for eternity!
يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنُ مَا غَرَّكَ بِرَبِّكَ ٱلۡڪَرِيمِ . ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكَ فَسَوَّٮٰكَ فَعَدَلَكَ
O Man! What has seduced you from (made you forget) your Lord Most Beneficent? Who created you, then moulded you then, proportioned you. (Surah Al-Infitaar 82:6-7)
- Maulana asks us all to ponder about this point – why are we running away, when the Lord of Heavens is sending His salaams and greetings and honours upon us. Even a person with a tiny spot of understanding (of the honour of being addressed by Him and being invited to His presence), would have prostrated humbly, whilst crying out, “Oh our Lord!”
- As for those who have been flattering and praising Maulana for being able to speak on such a huge array of subjects over the past five hundred days, Maulana humbly brushed it aside, quoting this Ayat from the Quran.
قُل لَّوۡ كَانَ ٱلۡبَحۡرُ مِدَادً۬ا لِّكَلِمَـٰتِ رَبِّى لَنَفِدَ ٱلۡبَحۡرُ قَبۡلَ أَن تَنفَدَ كَلِمَـٰتُ رَبِّى وَلَوۡ جِئۡنَا بِمِثۡلِهِۦ مَدَدً۬ا . قُلۡ إِنَّمَآ أَنَا۟ بَشَرٌ۬ مِّثۡلُكُمۡ يُوحَىٰٓ إِلَىَّ أَنَّمَآ إِلَـٰهُكُمۡ إِلَـٰهٌ۬ وَٲحِدٌ۬ۖ فَمَن كَانَ يَرۡجُواْ لِقَآءَ رَبِّهِۦ فَلۡيَعۡمَلۡ عَمَلاً۬ صَـٰلِحً۬ا وَلَا يُشۡرِكۡ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِۦۤ أَحَدَۢا
Say: Though the sea became ink for the Words of my Lord, verily the sea would be used up before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even though We brought the like thereof to help. Say: I am only a mortal like you. My Lord inspireth in me that your God is only One God. And whoever hopeth for the meeting with his Lord, let him do righteous work, and make none sharer of the worship due unto his Lord. (Surah Al-Kahf 18:109-110)
- Maulana said, that if one wanted to write Kalimatullah (Allah’s Divine Words), using the seven Oceans as ink, one could never finish writing them. Even if one used seventy billion Oceans, or seventy trillion Oceans, as ink, that ink would be used up, but Allah’s words are never ending. Just as in the Ayat above, Maulana says, he is merely a transmitter, and the knowledge is but an endless stream from the never-ending Oceans of the Almighty.
- The Suhbahs have stopped, according to Man’s capacity, not because of a Divine limitation. Maulana said that an ant is given by Allah, what is sufficient for it, according to its capacity. Allah Almighty, in His Infinite Wisdom, grants all creatures in due proportion, what is suitable for its needs. The understanding of an ant differs greatly from that of an elephant.
- Man’s capacity is very limited (like an ant’s). Man must realize his smallness, when viewed in the light of Allah’s Greatness! Don’t be proud, Maulana says, only Allah can be proud, it is His Divine Attribute, not a servant’s attribute. Be humble ones before Him, be His servants, oh Mankind. Allah said in a Hadees Qudsi, “Pride is my cloak and greatness My robe, and he who competes with Me in respect of either of them I shall cast into Hell-fire.” Allah is the Absolute King!
- Maulana said, in reality, he has said nothing from himself, he is merely bringing a message from the Lord, to His creation, and that message is for Man to acknowledge his real position (as servant) and to act befittingly. Maulana asks attenders to pin on themselves, this Spiritual badge that says, “We are our Lord’s weak servants.” This simple truth-statement puts Man in his place – it removes all veils of greatness by reminding us that we are servants, and it removes all veils of ability, by reminding us that we are weak ones, and it removes all ties with creation (dunia), by reminding us that we belong to Him. It is a simple statement, with a profound and ego-shattering message! If we wore this badge of truth, and lived by it, we would all be safe.
- When thanked for his daily Suhbahs, Maulana humbly waved away the gratitude, saying, “Thanks is due to Allah (and He alone).” When asked if the Suhbahs would continue, he said, “As He likes, when His beloved one gives permission. When new inspirations come, we may speak.” Maulana said that Allah may send countless other servants to warn Mankind, as He pleases. He humbly said that he was not the only one who was authorized to speak. Gesticulating with the sign of one closing a tap, Maulana said that Allah may close a tap in one location, and open countless taps elsewhere to carry His orders, salutes and honour to Mankind, as He pleases. When it is necessary, Allah will send His servants to advise us and to ‘wake’ us up. Maulana hopes that now and then, he will be allowed to say words that we could ponder over, but he leaves that matter to Allah.
- Maulana said that he was happy that the Suhbahs had awakened some people, as they have became aware of news of the approaching Last Days, “Heavenly words are those that must touch a person’s conscience,” Maulana said. The message is that this worldly life will come to pass, and only those who cling to Allah will be safe and happy for eternity. Every living thing must face death, and this world is at the door of its death (Qiyamat), and the Day of Judgment is just ahead. The Signs of the Last Days began fifteen centuries ago…
فَهَلۡ يَنظُرُونَ إِلَّا ٱلسَّاعَةَ أَن تَأۡتِيَہُم بَغۡتَةً۬ۖ فَقَدۡ جَآءَ أَشۡرَاطُهَاۚ فَأَنَّىٰ لَهُمۡ إِذَا جَآءَتۡہُمۡ ذِكۡرَٮٰهُمۡ
Do they then await (anything) other than the Hour, that it should come upon them suddenly? But some of its portents (indications and signs) have already come, and when it (actually) is on them, how can they benefit then by their reminder? (Surah Muhammad 47:18)
- Knowing that we are smack in the midst of the signs of Qiyamat, we must put time aside to prepare for our eternal lives, by taking care to dedicate our lives to Servanthood. This world can be a Paradise, if people follow Divine orders, but because they are not doing so, endless problems, sufferings and affliction descends on them.
- Maulana asked all to pray for him too, for he is a weak servant, and he himself is praying for the Intercession of the Holiest One, Sayyidina Muhammad (saw). Maulana says he is a weak one, and he is seeking support from the Saints. Maulana humbly reminded all, that he was merely a messenger, tasked with transferring messages from the Spiritual world to us, and he was seeking the strength and support from them to continue.
- Responding to mureeds/muheebs who were shocked at the cessation of Suhbhas, Maulana said, “Don’t be. Whoever seeks will find.” Maulana advised all to collect themselves (i.e not be upset/berserk/shocked anymore), to pull away from dunia, to spend time with the Lord of Creation and to look/listen to the past Suhbahs carefully, and they will discover much more within the Suhbahs.
- The Divine Invitation brought by His Most honoured servants, is a clear reference to the Suhbahs that Maulana has been giving. These Suhbahs originate from the heavens, and were a daily invitation to abandon everything besides Allah, and to run to Him, to prostrate to Him! Those who understood would have left no stone unturned in seeking a place in His Presence.
فَفِرُّوٓاْ إِلَى ٱللَّهِۖ إِنِّى لَكُم مِّنۡهُ نَذِيرٌ۬ مُّبِينٌ۬
Therefore flee towards Allah; lo! I am a plain warner to you from Him. (Surah Adh-Dhariyat 51:50)
قُلۡ ءَامِنُواْ بِهِۦۤ أَوۡ لَا تُؤۡمِنُوٓاْۚ إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ ٱلۡعِلۡمَ مِن قَبۡلِهِۦۤ إِذَا يُتۡلَىٰ عَلَيۡہِمۡ يَخِرُّونَ لِلۡأَذۡقَانِ سُجَّدً۬ا
Say: “Whether ye believe in it or not, it is true that those who were given knowledge beforehand, when it is recited to them, fall down on their faces in humble prostration” (Surah Al-Isra' 17:107)
- Maulana’s reference to ants being given by Allah what they needed sufficiently, is a clear reference to mureeds/muheebs to stop asking for more Suhbahs. As mentioned in an earlier Commentary, we must have absolute faith in what the Divine has designated as our portion, and we have been given, in the words of Maulana, enough for our journey, for this world and the hereafter. Five hundred table-spreads of food (Suhbahs) is a tall order for one person to devour, what more, for one ant to consume. We must be thankful for the Suhbahs already given, we must be ashamed for not having mined the Suhbahs fully for all its jewels, we must be determined to dive deeper into them, we must have absolute faith that what has been dispensed is perfectly suited to our needs, and we must believe earnestly that the Lord would never withhold any knowledge from us, that would bring us safety and closeness to Him. You must have yaqeen! In a Hadees, Rasulullah (saw) said, “When a person has practised all that he has learnt, Allah will add to his knowledge.” Hence, the more we practise from the Suhbahs given, the greater the understanding and wisdom that shall be unlocked from them.
- Maulana has often used ants, as an analogy to describe humans – weak and small ones, in comparison to the Universe around them, and in comparison to the task/responsibility/amanah from Allah, that humans carry (when compared to other creatures). Maulana has also used an elephant, as an analogy to describe a Saint. In an earlier Suhbah, he had said that, once Hasan Al-Basri (qs) gave a Suhbah at the mosque, and when it was over, some attenders complained that the Suhbah was too simple/basic/elementary, when compared to the previous Suhbahs that he had given. Hasan Al-Basri (qs) replied, “Today, only ants were present, the elephant was absent.” When the attenders did a check on who was absent for that day’s Suhbah, they found that a great lady Saint, Rabiatul Al-Adawiyyah (qs), had been absent from the Suhbah that day, hence the content of the Suhbah had been tailored to meet the needs of ‘ants’. Maulana said, that what an ant understands, is not the same as that understood by an elephant, referring to the vast gulf between the abilities/knowledge/understanding of normal people, as compared to Saints, which is why each group takes a different understanding from the same Suhbahs given, each group according to its own capacity.
- Maulana called on humans not to be proud ones! The entire Quran is filled with stories of Nations of the past, all of whom proudly defied and challenged their Lord, and were crushed. We are in that time of pride now, Man is proud of his technology, he feels invincible (like the Nations of long ago) from Allah’s wrath, and he believes that with his weapons/bunkers/early-warning-systems/satellite imagery/spy-cameras etc, that he can out-manouvre Allah Almighty’s punishment. Allah describes in the Quran, how each of these proud Nations were taken down while they were unaware, and they were annihilated and humiliated completely, in this world and in the hereafter.
- When Maulana said that he is saying nothing, he is following the exact journey of Rasulullah (saw), who, in reality, never spoke from himself, even once, throughout his blessed life. What does that mean? It means that he never spoke once from his ego/desires, he only spoke when he was inspired by Allah, to proclaim revelation.
مَا ضَلَّ صَاحِبُكُمۡ وَمَا غَوَىٰ . وَمَا يَنطِقُ عَنِ ٱلۡهَوَىٰٓ. إِنۡ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحۡىٌ۬ يُوحَىٰ . عَلَّمَهُ ۥ شَدِيدُ ٱلۡقُوَىٰ
Your companion (Muhammad) has neither gone astray nor has erred. Nor does he speak of (his own) desire. It is only a Revelation revealed. He has been taught by one mighty in power. (Surah An-Najm 53:2-5)
Hence, Maulana’s Suhbahs have been via a transmission from a chain of Masters, from heart to heart, up to the beloved.
The message in this Suhbah
- Maulana is revealing to us that there are two types of people on earth today, with regards to the Suhbahs that he has given. One group is comprised of them who have taken no benefit from the Suhbahs. They are still running from Allah, they are oblivious to the honourable life Allah wants for them, they are those mentioned in the Ayat (Surah Muhammad 47:18) above that says, “what good is there in reminding them, when the signs of Qiyamat are already present?” This group sees all the signs of Qiyamat, yet they take no heed, they have been blinded by their love of materialistic pursuits and seek only to satisfy their lusts.
رَءَيۡتَ مَنِ ٱتَّخَذَ إِلَـٰهَهُ ۥ هَوَٮٰهُ أَفَأَنتَ تَكُونُ عَلَيۡهِ وَڪِيلاً
Have you (O Muhammad) seen him who has taken as his god, his own vain desire/lust? Would you then be a Wakîl (a disposer of his affairs or a watcher) over him? (Surah Al-Furqan 25:43)
There is nothing Maulana can do for such people, who choose to reject the message.
- The other group is the one who Maulana says, their hearts have been awakened by the Suhbahs. To this blessed group, Maulana has more advice: pull away from dunia, and spend more time with Allah (in worship and reflection). For this group, as they withdraw further away from worldly pursuits and ponder the meaning of past Suhbahs, more and more will be unravelled in their convoluted minds, and more and more understanding will descend upon them. And as for their fear of being left without a guide (since the Suhbahs have stopped), Maulana says, “No, do not fear!” Those who seek, shall certainly find, he said. Allah will never leave a single soul to be swallowed by shaitan and his army, and everyone who seeks a way to the Divine Presence, will certainly be guided. Those who take one step towards their Lord, Allah takes ten steps towards them. So despair not! You will never be abandoned, but you must work diligently to worship your Lord and to reflect deeply upon what has been taught in the Suhbahs.
This Suhbah can be heard at www.Saltanat.org, and choose from the menu on the right, ‘Daily Sohbat 23.Oct 2010’. Saltanat TV is the Official Site of Maulana Shaykh Nazim that is sanctioned and approved by him personally.