Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s Daily Suhbah
4th March 2010, Thursday
The Secret to Understanding a Suhbah
A’uzubillah himinsh shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillahir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Maulana warns us about shaitan’s dedicated helpers, who walk in his footsteps diligently, whose every step is to mislead you. Seek refuge in Allah from such accursed ones.
- There is a particular intimate conversation between Nabi Musa (as) and Allah, from which we can draw a beautiful and inspirational lesson.
وَمَا تِلْكَ بِيَمِينِكَ يَا مُوسَى
And what is that in thy right hand, O Moses?” (Surah Ta-Ha 20:17)
قَالَ هِيَ عَصَايَ أَتَوَكَّأُ عَلَيْهَا وَأَهُشُّ بِهَا عَلَى غَنَمِي وَلِيَ فِيهَا مَآرِبُ أُخْرَى
He said “It is my rod: on it I lean; with it I beat down fodder for my flocks; and in it I find other uses.” (Surah Ta-Ha 20:18)
- Allah asked Nabi Musa (as), what was in his right hand? Did He not know what was in Nabi Musa’s (as) hand? For sure He did. Nabi Musa (as) then went on to explain in great detail to Allah what the stick was used for. Was such an explanation necessary? No.
- Nabi Musa (as) should have replied, “You know better, Oh Allah!” Allah deliberately placed this example in the Holy Qur’an to teach us from the Ummat of Muhammad (saw), the adab of behaving before Allah, we must always say, “You know better, Oh Allah!” We must always submit every matter to Allah.
- In today’s highly intellectual world, everyone wants to teach his Lord, like Moses in the Ayat above! Each one wants to dictate Divine Will and Wisdom to bend our way, to favour us, we wish for events to follow our bidding, we want to guide Allah on how best to help us! Man today uses his mind to create new Innovations in Islam, and they invent new theories and ideas about Allah and his Rasul (saw), leading people astray.
- The Awliya (Saints) do not use their minds to invent new ideas. They follow guided ones, who open new levels of understanding for them, they study from all that goes on around them, hence their spiritual levels are always ascending. Book-based scholars, they use their minds to try to create new understandings, and they are never ascending with that sort of knowledge. Moses (as) answered with his mind, failing to understand that such a question needed no answer.
- Prophet Muhammad (saw) showed us what complete submission is all about. During the Night Ascension (Mikraj), Rasulullah (saw) was accompanied by many of the well-known Angels, they were unable to accompany Rasulullah to the Divine presence, the world of Lahoot (Divinity), for Rasulullah (saw) was about to be bestowed the greatest honour known to creation, his physical/spiritual self went through a transformation, Rasulullah (saw) was dressed in his real being.
- Allah said, “Only I exist, there is none but ME. Come, Oh My Beloved! Draw near, Oh Beloved One!” Rasulullah (saw) recounted that when Allah said those words, Sayyidina Jibrail (as) fell into prostration, like a mat on the floor, he was unable to stand, for fear/awe of Allah.
- At this point, Maulana asked scholars who were against honouring the Prophet (saw), some who even forbade the recitation of Sayyidina before reciting the name Muhammad – who was the One who had welcomed Rasulullah (saw) into the Divine Presence? Isn’t it an unprecedented honour to be received by the Lord Almighty Himself? If Allah is bestowing Rasulullah (saw) such unmatched honour, why are some jealous scholars declaring that respect to the Prophet (saw), is shirik (blasphemy)? No Prophet or Saint has ever disrespected Rasulullah (saw)!
- Allah said, “Draw near, welcome, Oh Beloved One, I am welcoming you!” Allah then asked Rasulullah (saw), “Who are you?” to which Rasulullah (saw) replied, “You, Oh Allah!” Maulana says, that is the ultimate Station of Oneness, Wajibul Wujud, the purest witnessing of Tauhid (Oneness). Rasulullah (saw) was the only Creation to reach that point, all others have only come to a vague understanding of Tauhid. Only Allah is in existence, the entire Creation is His Shadow, His reflection in the Divine Mirror.
- Look at your shadow, as you stand in the Sun – is it real, like you? Or imagine that you are standing between two mirrors that face each other. There will be infinite images of you in the mirrors, but only ONE real you, and all those images are powerless and helpless, they cannot move unless YOU move, they don’t really exist, but YOU do! So Maulana says La Maujuda Illallah, none exists, except Him.
- So the Prophet’s (saw) answer, was 100% Tauhid, Haqiqatul Tauhid. Allah said to Rasulullah (saw), “Draw near!” to which Rasulullah (saw) replied, “There is none here, only You exist.” Allah had taught Rasulullah (saw) the highest adab, as compared to the answer that Nabi Musa (as) had given above, where he explained the use of his staff. Compare the two responses, to understand the Ocean of Knowledge that lies therein.
- In reality, Allah Almighty, had welcomed Himself, “Welcome to Me!” but that is another Ocean altogether, not one Ocean, but Oceans within Oceans, Allahu Akbar, says Maulana.
- In conclusion, Maulana says that, we must give to each, his rights, do not withhold them, for that is from shaitan. Shaitan desired what was Rasulullah’s (saw) right, and when he was denied, he became drunk, and he created fitnah (confusion).
- Finally Maulana revealed the secret to understanding his Suhbahs! Attend without your ego, then you shall understand. If you come with a full cup, and a I-know-everything attitude, you will never understand the Suhbah. Your ego always guides you to the wrong understanding, the wrong attitude, the wrong action and the wrong intention. So beware the ego, leave it when you come to learn, don’t try to teach Allah, but come and learn humbly, from Him.