Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s daily Suhbahs
9th April 2010, Friday
Oh Man, He created creation to serve you, He created you to serve Him
A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Mawlana said that in a hadeeth Qudsi, Allah said, “I am giving to you, Oh Muhammad, and your Nation (Ummah), My protection, through Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem.” So Shaytan does his utmost to discourage us from using this Divine Sword – some people forget to recite it, others are too lazy, while some belittle it, not acknowledging its powers and benefits.
- Each recitation of Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem is like a sturdy spear thrown at, and penetrating through, the accursed chest of the fallen one; hence every recitation of Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem sends shudders of fear and waves of anger through Shaytan.
- So many so-called Scholars in Islam reject Tasawwuf and Tariqah! Some not only reject it, they even label it as an Innovation (Bida’ah). Open your eyes, and take a good look at the world around yourselves today. Man has become a restless creature, he is seeking solace and peace, and he cannot find it in the world of technology and entertainment. Man is growing increasingly bored, his soul is thirsty for spirituality, and there is an intense craving in many hearts today for a journey of love, taken in tranquility and compassion.
- The world of materialistic pursuit is not one that will ever bring happiness to Man’s heart. In that world, one is never contented or satisfied, never! It is a dog-eat-dog world, one of mutual boasting and petty rivalry; it is meaningless and empty and souls can never find rest in. The world of materialism and technology is one that transforms man into a cold and evil machine – it leads Man to Jahannam (Hellfire) – hence it is cursed by Allah. That is why the very first thing that Imam Mahdi (as) will destroy on Earth when he emerges with his first takbir of Allahu Akbar, is technology! The Prophet (saw) and his Companions showed us that, life without technology was not only possible, it was one that was so much more peaceful and vastly more progressive, spiritually.
- Today’s scholars teach only the shell – the external practices and rituals – of Islam. They only teach the Shari’ah, leaving out the essential spirituality (Tariqah) that leads to the state of Ihsan, which is the essence of all religious advice. There is no true Islam without spirituality, if you just cling to materialism, you will be humbled to dust in your graves.
- Mawlana once made this do’a (invocation) “Oh Allah! Bestow upon us heavenly understanding!” And the reply came as such, “Oh My weak servant, you have asked Me to Bestow understanding on the whole of Mankind, but Man himself is not asking Me for that. Man never looks up to the heavens, he does not ask for a deeper understanding, so how can I give that to him? If he were to ask from Me, I would certainly Give to him.” Allah has placed before us, and has offered us, flowing fountains of knowledge and endless springs of understanding. But, as in the Divine reply to Mawlana’s invocation above, Man does not seek understanding from Allah, instead, he asks for dunya from Shaytan and his representatives. Why are we running away from these heavenly springs and fountains?
- Why is Man, always running away from Allah and heading in the direction of Shaytan? Has Man not realized that every suffering in this world and in the hereafter, is caused by Shaytan? Yet we still reject Allah’s offer of help and guidance, and we run towards Shaytan? What is wrong with us?
- The Holy Qur’an contains guidance for every one of us, it contains Divine insights and solutions for tackling all our worldly and spiritual issues. Not a single person’s guidance, and not a single issue’s solution, is missing from this Holy Book, such is its miracle! The Holy Qur’an opens the doorway for our journey to our final destination, but Man is clueless as to how to embark on that journey, because without a guide, he has no idea what his destination is!
- Animals are created such that they have no clue about Judgment Day. But Man is a noble creature and it is not befitting that he should descend to such a lowly level. From Allah’s Power Oceans of Creation, Man had been a secret creature, hidden within it, so much so that when Allah announced to the Angels that He was creating a Khalifah (Vicegerent) on Earth, the Angels had no true idea or understanding, as to who Man really was. See what the Angels said about Man:
Behold thy Lord said to the angels: “I will create a vicegerent on Earth.” They said “Wilt thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood? Whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy Holy (name)?” He said: “I know what ye know not.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:30)
- Allah then raised Man as His Vicegerent, His Khalifah, His Representative – above all of creation. That is the position of the Crown Prince to the King! That is a gift that is Azaliyyun Abadiyyun, from pre-eternity, to eternity. It is the greatest gift ever bestowed on any creation! We have been raised to such a special position amongst all of creation, Oh Man! Treasure that heavenly honor, and act according to the exalted status that you have been bestowed with.
- So how should Man act, how should he behave towards his Lord who has given him this unmatched honor? Allah says, “Oh My Servants, I Created you, and I Sent you to be in this dunya. Beware and be aware! You were created for your Lord! I Created you for Myself, I Created dunya, for you.”
I created the jinn and humankind only that they might worship Me. (Surah Adh-Dhariyat 51:56)
- Mawlana asked if we are aware of what we are doing with our lives? We are striving for, and seeking dunya, all our lives. All our actions, day and night, are just for dunya! Mawlana asked again, “What have you done with your lives? What is the matter with you, that you are not seeking servanthood to Allah?”
- Man is a forgetful creature, so we must remind each other about this constantly. Mawlana asked why learned ones are not preaching about this to the masses – awakening humans to the fact that they had been created with honor, and that they had been created to worship their Lord. Man has lost his way today, he has become a foolish creature, he has abandoned the most beneficial acts in life (like worship, obedience and devotion to Allah), and has gone in search of meaningless, temporary scraps. This religion is about advising (from a hadeeth – addeenu naseehah), so advise humans about their responsibility to their Lord and to themselves.
And remind (by preaching the Qur’an, O Muhammad) for verily, the reminding benefits the believers. (Surah Adh-Dhariyat 51:55)
- Despite taking the mimbar (pulpit) of Juma’ah week after week, Imams are speaking about unimportant and petty things, instead of taking that opportunity to sow realization amongst the heedless ones. Preach – there are benefits for believers in doing so.
- This was Mawlana’s closing advice, “Oh Man, you were never created for this dunya, you were created for your Lord. There is no honor that you can achieve in this dunya or Akhirah, equal to that of being the servant of Allah. We were created for servanthood to Allah, but we have lost our way, and we have become slaves to dunya.” Such knowledge that reveals your purpose of creation and your honoured position is a heavenly bounty and grant to all of Mankind. When Man knows this, he will know what his life’s mission is, and he can then embark on his journey to reach his destination. So spread this knowledge, and teach it to your children too. They must know from a young age, who they really are, who created them and for what purpose they have been created for.
- Mawlana ended with this beautiful invocation (do’a), “Oh Allah, send us, some heavenly ones who will guide us to connect our hearts to You, with Love for You. We are seeking a Sultan who will defeat Shaytan and his helpers on the face of this Earth, Oh Allah. Send us a Sultan who will raise the flags of Islam, who will raise Divine flags on the face of this Earth, and may we all be under these flags in duna and under the flags of hamd (Praise) in Akhirah. Oh Allah, grant us, for the sake of he who is most honored and beloved in the Divine Presence, Sayyidina Muhammad (saw).” Ameen, ya Rabbal ‘alameen!