This post is also available in: Bahasa Indonesia
Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s daily Suhbahs
20th April 2010, Tuesday
“Neither My Earth nor My Heavens can contain Me, but the heart of a Believing Servant, contains Me.”
A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Mawlana asked us to ponder the blessings and power contained in a single Hadeeth – billions of humans receive guidance and re-align and re-orient their lives’ direction based on a single Hadeeth of Rasulullah (saw).
- To understand deeper matters in religion is very difficult without support, without help. We need the help of someone who can open the door to these treasures. The Keys to unlock such treasures have been given by Allah to some of His servants – the Chosen Ones. Who are these Chosen Ones? They are those from amongst Mankind, who have completely abandoned dunya. They have absolutely no more interest in worldly life and worldly pleasures. They are clean and purified ones, who are constantly striving to increase in their understanding.
- Pure milk is a clean dairy product, but if it is poured into a dirty pot, that pure milk would immediately become contaminated and impure – it must then be thrown away. Allah does not pour heavenly grants of pure illuminated knowledge into the hearts of dirty ones; only those with pure and clean hearts will receive such heavenly grants from their Lord. Allah looks into the hearts of Man and He chooses, who amongst them will be recipients of Divine honor and grants.
- In a well-known Hadeeth Qudsi, Allah declared, “Neither My Earth nor My Heavens can contain Me, but the heart of a Believing Servant, can.” In another tradition, Allah says, âI am the Greatest, None is Greater than I! The Earth and Heavens cannot contain me (they were created as simple creatures without the capacity to contain the Maqam of Allah), so I granted upon human beings, the Heart (Qalb); it is but the size of a fist, you may see that the heart is so small, physically, but that physical heart is a symbolic creation representing the real Qalb that I have granted to My Deputies, no one understands about that real Heart, for that Heart of a Believing Servant can contain Me.” A true believer has a heart with an unlimited capacity. And in such a heart, one will find Allah. The reality of the true nature of Man’s heavenly origins, is one who has no limits. When we say Man’s heart has an unlimited capacity, we mean it from the point of view of a human being, not from the Divine point of view, as only Allah is truly without any limits.
- That “unlimited” capacity bestowed by Allah on our Hearts, is an honor for us, for Man is gifted with an understanding that is so wide, so far above the rest of creation. Although Man has a station so high above the rest of creation, Man is still part of the creation, he is always a servant of Allah, and will never be part of Divinity – that realm is out of bounds to all of creation, none may tread or draw near. It is impossible for a creature to reach the level of the Creator. The creations are merely witnessing the Oneness of Allah, they are witnessing His Beautiful Names and Attributes, but they cannot enter into Divinity. That is the limit – the boundary – set by the Lord, the Lord of which for Him, there are no limits or boundaries.
- Every creature has its own status and rank, and it witnesses His Names and Attributes from its own station, that is what it sees and understands. And Man has been given the highest station and rank of all of creation, from which to bear witness to His Oneness. Man’s highest rank in creation, means that his horizon or limits are – endless – hence the heart of a believer that contains Allah, is the Limit, a position that only Man can attain. No other creature in creation can comprehend that Limit. But beyond that Limit, even Man cannot tread, for it is Divinity. Neither Man nor any other creature can go there – we will not be able to understand, because we are always His servants, no matter how much honor or rank He gives us!
- Man, despite his high rank and Station, is always weak. Mawlana said we are always at point zero, and Allah is the One. Mawlana gave an analogy; Allah is the digit 1, we are the digit 0. If the zero is placed on the left of the 1, we get a number 01. That is still equals to 1, and that is the original position of Man – a zero. But if Allah wants to bestow upon a person any grant, He moves your 0 to the right of the 1, and you become 10, you now have a value! In that way, He makes you one who looks, sees, understands, knows, perform, obeys, respects, submit, and worships – endlessly. Allah will give you value, if you are seeking knowledge of value!
- Allah has honored Man by giving guidance and understanding to Man, so that Man will devote himself to the worship of Allah, to be in His Divine service, and be His servant. That is an honor to which there is no equal – no other creature has been offered such a gift.
- Those who seek secret knowledge from the Divine must know that it is only poured into pure hearts; such knowledge cannot come from other than the Heavens. What sort of knowledge is contained within such hearts? Knowledge of worldly matters, worldly affairs and dunya, will never be found in such inspirations – knowledge that brings understanding of worldly matters, have no value in the presence of the Divine. Only Heavenly knowledge has value, such knowledge filled the Oceans of Knowledge that was in the Prophet’s (saw) heart, we must try to take from that Ocean, even if it be just one drop, or even less than that.
- We were not sent by Allah to this Earth to study about dunya and its contents! We were never sent to master the filth that is dunya! Yet today all over the world, the emphasis is for one to seek worldly knowledge. People are studying it day and night, and they are teaching only that worldly knowledge at all levels in society. Man was never sent here to learn about how to become rich or how to build empires – you are never bringing those onto the final stage of your journey!
- The Prophet (saw) had been given the Keys to all knowledge of dunya and the Hereafter, but he never bothered about the knowledge of this dunya, he never busied himself with it. The Prophet (saw) exhorted the Ummah to study beneficial knowledge, and not to waste time on meaningless activities, aimless objectives and a life spent in pursuing amusement and entertainment. By acquiring useless and fruitless knowledge, you lose your value in the Divine presence. Rasulullah (saw) was aware, that knowledge of dunya was worthless, and he never taught it nor encouraged us to seek mastery in it.
- Instead, Rasulullah (saw) came to take Mankind from this worldly life, to the heavenly levels, a journey that cannot be accomplished by gadgets like rockets, missiles or jets. Believers must seek knowledge that unlocks understanding about their souls (that belongs to heavens), and about their life’s mission. And by taking such beneficial knowledge from Rasulullah’s (saw) heart, you will achieve much honor and rank.
- The purpose of being a scholar is not to acquire respect from the people around you – many scholars enjoy strutting around dressed in their scholarly garb, with a Kitab under their armpits. That should not be their aim of their existence. Their sole aim should be to become a fountain of sincere advice to their communities, to teach their followers real knowledge – where they are now, where they have been invited to, and to show them the stairway to spiritual ascension – not to the bowels of dunya!
- The Ummah is now plunged into darkness; it is enveloped by a spiritual darkness that has spread to the four corners of the Earth. When it is spiritually dark, you cannot find your way, and when you lose your way, you will go astray! Seek those who are the Warisat ul-Anbiya, the Inheritors of the Seal of Prophets (saw). Their hearts are those of the believing servants, and into such pure hearts are poured Divine illumination, nur, that lights up the darkness around us. Seek them out, be with them and they will lead you to back to Paradise.