Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s daily Suhbahs
7th April 2010, Wednesday
He who cheats, is not of my Ummah
A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Mawlana said that all those who attended, would be blessed with happiness and honor, for it was a rare thing nowadays to be able to attend a real Association (Suhbah). Most gatherings today either involve discussion panels (everyone trying to show off that he knows more than the other panelists) or it involves debates (where everyone wants to prove that he is correct). In many religious debates, Shaytan pits one person against another, so the session turns into an ugly battle of the egos, no one learns or gains anything, and attendees leave unhappy, divided and agitated. So it is a rare thing indeed to be in such a sincere gathering, where no party is trying to impress another, as such a sincere gathering (as taught in the previous lesson) is one that is protected from the dirtiness of Shaytan’s presence, there are almost no more such gatherings in these end of times.
- So many meetings begin without the recitation of A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem, as if Man is immune to Shaytan’s venom – such pride allows Shaytan in. Recognize that you are weak, and seek His protection against Shaytan always. Each time we recite A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem, Allah sends the one responsible for our well being to protect us from shaitan’s presence. We are weak ones, we are fighting an unseen enemy, we must always seek refuge in Allah.
He (shaitan) and his tribe see you, from where you do not see them.(Surah Al-A'raf 7:27)
- Also recite Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem, for that is our heavenly sword against our unseen enemy. Mawlana asked, what would happen to a soldier who goes into battle without his weapon? For sure he would be helpless, and would be easily defeated – he would be captured by enemy forces and made a prisoner.
- Mawlana did not deny that there are official centres teaching Islam, with officially appointed teachers. But such centres cannot give the same benefit as these type of sessions, as those who are teaching, have elevated themselves into an ‘official’ position or status. A Suhbah (a religious gathering/Association), is derived from the word Sahabah, or Companions. The Prophet taught his Companions in an atmosphere of love and friendliness, of companionship and mutual concern. In such an atmosphere, there is familiarity between hearts (see lesson 22/03/10) and it is in this setting that one is able to derive benefits and learning.
- An air of officialdom is very different. It raises some people (the officials), above the rest, and in doing so, it creates barriers between hearts, and it removes the familiarity, which is a crucial ingredient needed for learning to take place. In such a setting, little learning can take place – there is no genuine love and concern between teacher and student, the relationship is a ‘forced’ one, where the ‘official’ leader puts on an act of authority and knowledge, in order to prove that he is indeed one with superior knowledge, which is why he is the one teaching. It is an act, a fake show of piety and holiness. It is like an artificial diamond – it may look like the real thing at first glance, but under close scrutiny, it is obviously a worthless piece of glass. No synthetic gem is of any real value, so no fake teachers have any real value either. The unfortunate thing about holding an ‘official’ appointment, is that it makes you put on a facade. You are putting on an act, and you are no longer being yourself. That is why the ego loves to hold such appointments, it gets to put on its mask again, and pretend to be someone it isn’t (see lesson on 01/04/10).
- Mawlana Jalaluddin Rumi (qs) said, “Oh people, be your true self when you are with people, do not cheat people, do not have two faces – one that you show to the public (the official you) and one that you hide from public view.”
- Man portrays himself to people around him, in such a way so as to draw praises and admiration. This act that they put on, is in stark contrast to their real selves, away from public view. Mawlana said that this is haram, as it is cheating. He reminds us that Rasulullah (saw) said, “He who cheats, is not of my Nation (Ummat).” That is a stern warning from the Prophet (saw). We must always be aware of this hadith, and be careful about going against it. You must be very afraid that such a warning has been issued, for we must always ensure that we are on the path of Haqq, any deviation into dishonesty, means we have wandered into cheating, and we have drifted out of the Ummat of Muhammad (saw). That is a very sobering warning to bear in mind, for it means we must be alert to remain on the truth constantly, without wavering – obedience to our egos means that we have abandoned the path of Haqq. Mawlana asked if it is possible to find such people today.
- It is the characteristic of Shaytan to have two faces, in order to cheat people. He tells Man, that in order to gain respect, Man has to put on a public persona befitting the image of the official position he is holding.
- For example, a businessman will portray to his clients and potential partners, that he is an honest and trusted one, but once he has won your trust, once he has gotten your investment, he takes off his mask, revealing the crook that he really is. He then walks away, without the slightest tinge of remorse for having scammed you. Mawlana said that this is the worst form of cheating amongst humans. The lists of examples of such con jobs are endless. A man/woman may portray himself/herself as a trustworthy, well-mannered and morally upright person, but once the trust has been gained and the marriage consummated, the mask is removed and the true colours emerge – it is only then that one sees that the man is a wife-beater, or that the woman is actually cheating on her spouse. This is a Shaytanic teaching, to hide the ‘cheating face’, and show the ‘trustworthy face’ to fellow Man.
- Mawlana said that it is true that we have a global crisis today – not an economic crisis – but a ‘personality’ crisis, a ‘characteristics’ crisis, which threatens to wreck human relationships. Man’s terrible conduct is the crisis, for Man has been influenced strongly by Shaytan. Shaytan has laid his poisoned finger on all of Mankind, everyone is leaving Divine Commandments, and acquiring shaitan’s personality. Mawlana said, “Oh Muslims, the Prophet (saw) brought to us an example of the highest and best behaviour!”
Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern of conduct, for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the praise of Allah. (Surah Al-Ahzab 33:21)
- Anyone who cheats another human being, no matter what his religion is, has gone against the Divine, his face will turn ugly and it will become darkened, and he will have to endure Allah’s punishment. We must follow Divine Commandments, we must copy the perfect conduct of the Prophet (saw), in order to build genuine and healthy relationships between husbands and wives, between parents and children, between neighbours, between members of our Community, regardless of their religion. Do not cheat anyone, even if he is a non-believer, that is no reason to behave in a cruel and undignified manner towards him. Man must improve his behaviour/conduct, for if he did not, even if Allah were to bestow upon him the wealth of 70 Kings or even the wealth of Qarun (the legendary man of wealth in the time of Moses (as)), the economic crisis would not end, as Man would still continue to cheat and scam one another.
- Allah sends people to remind the Nation, each time the people have strayed off the True path, so this is a timely reminder for us all. This same advice has been echoed by every Prophet that Allah has sent, that there is no other way out of this worldly mess that we are in, except this – we must leave this heedlessness, we must follow the conduct of the Chosen Prophet (saw). The Prophet (saw) never spoke from his own desires, he only brought Divine wahyu to us, hence, we must know that his entire behaviour / conduct, is based on Divine guidance. Anyone who abandons the Prophet’s (saw) conduct, will be rejected by Allah and His Prophet (saw).
Nor does he speak of (his own) desire. It is only a Revelation revealed. (Surah An-Najm 53:3-4)
- The Prophet (saw) said, “Be honest people, that will bring untold Divine treasures to you. But if you cheat, that will make you weak and you will fall into poverty, and you will be counted from amongst the liars.” Look at the power of a single hadith – it can solve the entire spiritual and financial crisis, with one swipe! But Shaytan always whispers, “Don’t follow the Prophet, follow me!” Hence many people make it their way of life to emulate Shaytan – they cheat in business, in relationships, in worship, in sincerity, in every aspect of their lives. Why? Do people think that is the way to achieve happiness and success? Dishonesty, betrayal and cheating may bring a quick temporary profit, perhaps it may bring some respect from humans (who may admire you for having status and wealth, but they show you respect for their personal gain actually, for they want to take some benefit from your status/wealth), but eventually, it must lead to inevitable dishonor before the Lord Almighty. You would seek imitated honor in this dunya in exchange for humiliation and Allah’s Wrath in the hereafter? What is wrong with you?
- True honor in dunya is achieved by being a true servant of Allah’s. One who serves Him sincerely, Allah will open the hearts of others to serve him and to honor and respect him. But if one lives in defiance of Allah, if one abandons the Prophet’s conduct, then he will be cursed in this life and in the life to come. So remember, it is meaningless to strive for the respect of fellow humans, by putting on a fake mask, or by attaining worldly treasures by dishonest means. True and everlasting honor, is attained by being a devoted servant to Allah, by following the conduct of the Prophet (saw), and by being honest – showing your true self to all around you.
- So many who fell into Shaytan’s trap of seeking worldly honor, they are in everlasting regret, for once they leave this worldly life, they also leave their worldly honor and their ill-gotten gains – they suffer perpetual regret for having sought brief happiness in dunya. Mawlana said, before your last breath, make preparation for your own deaths, you shall surely leave this temporary life, and if you leave as a cheating, dishonest one, you will regret for eternity. Teachers and Guides must bring the message of the Qur’an to their students, it is a message that reminds them to prepare for their eventual meeting with their Lord Almighty, so don’t return to Allah as a two-faced creature!