Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s Daily Suhbah
28th March 2010, Sunday
Allah gave us seven names, Maulana reveals the first
A’uzubillah himinsh shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillahir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Maulana instructed all attendees to focus completely on the Suhbah, as your attention/concentration is your ladder for spiritual ascension. How high your ladder takes you, depends on your degree of concentration.
- All teachings must lead the student to one conclusion – that he must correct and improve himself always. Hence, every lesson must guide the student in that direction, to improve his spiritual self, as that is the one that returns to akherat, the physical being, simply becomes dust.
- Allah revealed the Qur’an as a guide towards that direction, and he instructed Rasulullah (saw), “Oh My habeebi, Oh My beloved one, bring the message that I am sending you, the revelation, the Qur’an – to my servants.” And these Qur’anic advices help to loosen our stubbornness and to gradually pry open, our closed hearts and minds.
- Each human being has a physical being from the earth, and a spiritual self from the heavens, and each of us has seven Divinely-given names!
- Sayyidina Adam (as), and all his descendents were gathered on the Day of Promises, and Allah spoke to Mankind thus:
وَ اِذۡ اَخَذَ رَبُّكَ مِنۡۢ بَنِىۡۤ اٰدَمَ مِنۡ ظُهُوۡرِهِمۡ ذُرِّيَّتَهُمۡ وَ اَشۡهَدَهُمۡ عَلٰٓى اَنۡفُسِهِمۡ ۚ اَلَسۡتُ بِرَبِّكُمۡ ؕ قَالُوۡا بَلٰى ۛۚ شَهِدۡنَا ۛۚ اَنۡ تَقُوۡلُوۡا يَوۡمَ الۡقِيٰمَةِ اِنَّا كُنَّا عَنۡ هٰذَا غٰفِلِيۡنَ
And (remember) when your Lord brought forth from the Children of Adam, from their loins, their seed (or from Adam’s loin his offspring) and made them testify as to themselves (saying): “Am I not your Lord?” They said: “Yes! We testify,” lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection: “Verily, we have been heedless.” (Surah Al-A'raf 7:172)
- Every single human being that was to be created, was gathered there. It was a historic moment, a glorious event, for it was the first meeting of our real beings with the Divine. Did Allah question us one by one, or was the question posed to us, as a huge group? Such cannot be answered, except by one whose veils had been lifted, whose eyes had been opened to witness that heavenly event. It was an event set in a glorious panorama, and Allah was addressing our spiritual beings, not our physical beings, so honour is for our spiritual beings, for it was that being that Allah had addressed.
- Maulana says that when we do not know something, we must be humble enough to admit, and to say that we do not know. When you meet someone who can teach you something, humble yourselves, and learn. Always say, “I am but a student.” Most humans are blind, they do not understand, but they never admit to being so, so they continue to remain in blindness. Many are reading the Qur’an as if it were just an ordinary story book, so how can they understand what it conceals and what it reveals?
- Allah had addressed all of Mankind, on the Day of Promises, by saying, “Ya ibaadi, Oh My servants. Are you accepting that I created you and that you are My servants?” This question had been posed to all of Mankind as a congregation, Maulana cited the example of how a satellite could be in contact with so many users at one go, within its sphere of influence, as long as these users were connected to the satellite. This example was to help us picture how Allah was able to speak to all of Mankind, in one instant and at one go, since everyone has a connection to his Lord, as no creation could exist without such a connection. It happened in an instant for all, and at one go, because neither time nor space existed, at that moment!
- If there was no space, then where had the Souls been gathered? And how many Prophet Adams had Allah created?
- Maulana also asked if we were familiar with what Muhyddin Ibnu ‘Arabi (qs) has said – that Allah had created 124 000 Prophet Adams, each one having been the first man of his own earth, and our very own Prophet Adam (as), was the last of these 124 000. Muhyddin was indeed telling the truth, he had seen the reality, he was not looking for worldly benefits or profits, he only sought to be with his Lord., so there was no benefit for him to concoct false tales.
- Maulana asks if we are aware that Allah’s Attributes, are Azaliyyun Abadiyyun, which means ever-lasting/permanent/without end, from the beginning (called pre-eternity) to eternity. So when Allah posed us all that question, on the Day of Promises, do we assume that the question had been posed, and was hence a thing of the past? Yet Allah’s Speech is ever-lasting, so that question/statement made to us on that Day is still relevant and true, till now, up till forever!
- Allah knows each one of us intimately, just as a father would know each of his children’s names and characteristics, even if he had a hundred children – Allah knows all of us, intricately. On that Day of Promises, Allah had called each one of us, by every one of our seven Divinely-given names!
- The first name that Allah had called us by, on that Day, was Abdullah, the servant of Allah, and Man was in great happiness and ecstasy when he was called by that name, they were swooning in incomparable bliss. Allah’s speech is Abadiyyun Azaliyyun, you are forever His servant. Oh Abdullah, only as His servant will you find bliss, so do not be a servant to anyone, but Him.