Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s Daily Suhbah
3rd March 2010, Wednesday
Maulana reveals the CROWN of all knowledge
A’uzubillah himinsh shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillahir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Maulana says that some attendees complain of not being able to understand him. He says that knowledge is of different categories, just like medicine – some are for infants and some are for adults – the dosages and potency of the medicine are different. Similarly, if Maulana were to teach a young child about adulthood, the child may be able to understand the portions of the lesson, concerning the physical aspects of adulthood, but it would be impossible for him to understand about the emotional urges of adults. Maulana’s lessons are meant for a broad world-wide audience, so there will be portions that we will be able to understand if we try, though there may be other parts that are beyond us for now, just like the child in the example above. If we understand absolutely nothing, then we are at the level of animals, for they too understand nothing.
- To understand something, we must listen to the same matter many times. Maulana gave an example of a famous Arabic teacher, who honed his skills by teaching his goat. Each time he asked his goat if it understood the lesson, the goat simply bleated, and the teacher would repeat the lesson. Eventually, with such regular repetitions, he became an expert in Arabic. Today, we are like goats, bleating, without understanding, during each Suhbah. So do try to understand, you can only teach something that you have learnt and understood! You must at least understand that you are not a donkey or a wolf, and that you are Bani Adam, with a purpose in your creation, for every creation has a purpose.
- Maulana said that, after Allah announced to the Angels that He was going to place Man as a Khalifa on earth, the Angels came to know that Man was a violent beast, a merciless killer, a terrible creature, a wild and unrestrained being – they were astonished at Allah’s decision. And though outwardly, they said, “Oh Allah, You know best,” inwardly, they were shocked and aghast at how such a creature could represent Allah. Here is an important lesson – that we should have unwavering faith in Allah’s decisions, in His Will and in His Wisdom – and not let our puny minds and shallow knowledge, cloud our acceptance of His Judgement.
- To prove His point to the puzzled/doubting Angels, Allah taught Adam (as) the names of all things in the creation, and when the Angels were made to face off with Adam (as), a newer creation than them, he was able to demonstrate the superior intellect that was Man’s crowning glory. Yet, here Maulana reveals a fact that we had not known before – that Adam (as), was merely taught the names of these objects, but not the use/function/reality/secrets of that object/creature. Maulana says, it is like being shown a cup, and being told its name – but you have no idea what it does, how to use it or why we need it. Another example Maulana cites is the Sun. We all know that there is a Sun in the sky, we know the shape and perceived temperature of the Sun, but in reality, we do not know the actual secret of its creation – how it stays suspended in the sky, how it generates heat and light, how it goes about its daily task or how it came into existence. Even the Sun itself does not understand what it really is. Only Allah, its Creator knows. An important lesson here too, is that every creation has a name, even individual atoms have distinct names.
- Let us compare this with the knowledge that was bestowed on Rasulullah (saw). He was taught the function, reality and secrets of all creation, not just about the outer form, like Nabi Adam (as) was taught. Nabi Adam (as) knew the name, Rasulullah (saw) knew the entire being behind the name, he was given an ocean of knowledge for each creature/object in creation! Rasulullah (saw) said, “My Lord granted me knowledge of the real identities of everything.”
- Look at the honour Allah has bestowed on Adam (as) and Bani Adam. It is an honour beyond what the Angels have, it is the biggest honour in creation to be His Khalifa. It is this honour, that shaitan wanted for himself and was denied, and that has made him into Man’s fiercest enemy. Shaitan is the most dangerous enemy that Man has to face in this worldly life, he is far more dangerous than a cobra or a tiger. In fact, the dangers posed by these wild creatures are only a drop from the ocean of the dangers posed to us by shaitan! So beware, says Maulana, the ultimate enemy of Man is shaitan.
اَلَمۡ اَعۡهَدۡ اِلَيۡكُمۡ يٰبَنِىۡۤ اٰدَمَ اَنۡ لَّا تَعۡبُدُوا الشَّيۡطٰنَۚ اِنَّهٗ لَـكُمۡ عَدُوٌّ مُّبِيۡنٌ
Did I not enjoin on you, O ye children of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to you an enemy avowed? (Surah Ya-Sin 36:60)
- It is clear to us why shaitan is our most terrible enemy, for we have been bestowed what he desired for himself. But Maulana asks another question, which he says, is ajaib, so amazing and so subtle. Why is Man an enemy to his fellow Man? All of Man has been honoured by Allah, yet why are we living with enmity to each other? Humans who have graduated from shaitanic schools of thought, they are against humanity, they are against the honour of fellow Man. Man, who has been granted such honour and glory in the Heavenly Presence of the Lord of Heavens, they are striving against each other, living as enemies. What sort of foolishness is this?
- Today, the main aim of billions of humans is this – enmity and hatred for fellow Man! We can understand shaitan’s enmity for all humans, be they young or old, since we have been granted honour over him. But Man’s enmity towards another Man is truly an amazing phenomenon, for we are all recipients of this honour.
- Is such despicable, shaitanic behavior befitting us humans? Were we given immeasurable honour and respect, just to come to earth and exist as enemies to fellow honoured ones? Identify the reasons for your hatred, racism and enmity – those are shaitanic traits that you must remove from yourself. Every word, act or intention, that leads you to enmity, leads you to Hell. Allah has said in the Qur’an, that shaitan is our enemy, so anyone with enmity to Man, even if it is his fellow Man, is a shaitan himself.
- Maulana tells us to pray that we remain untouched by shaitan’s dirtiness, for shaitan contaminates Man’s understanding, breeding hatred and enmity.
- Ponder over this lesson, it is the Crown of all knowledge. Whoever lives without enmity, will inherit Paradise. Whoever lives with enmity for his fellow Man, will be bound for Jahannam, just like shaitan.