This post is also available in: Spanish
Devotions on the Day of Ashura
The Naqshbandi Way,
Spiritual & Devotions Guide Book
as practiced by Maulana Shaykh Nazim
Published by Sri Lankan mureeds
- Fast on the 9th and 10th of Muharram or on the 10th and 11th.
On the Day of Ashura (10th of Muharram), do the following:
- Between Dzuhur and Asar, pray 4 raka’ats.
In each raka’at, read Surah Al-Fatihah once, and Surah Al-Ikhlas, eleven times.
- Then recite the following Zikir:
La ila ha illallah 1000 times
Salawat 1000 times
Surah Al-Ikhlas 1000 times
- Then make the following do’a:
Allahumma thabbitna ‘alal Haqq
Ya Ghaliban ghaira maghloob
Ya Nasiral Mu’mineen
Ya Ghiyathal Musta ghi theen
Ya Qariban ghaira ba’id
Ya Shahidan ghaira ba’id.
Hasbi Allahu wa ni’mal wakeel, ni’mal mawla wa ni’man naseer (70 times)
La haula wa la quwwata illa billahil ‘aliyyil ‘azdheem
Ghufranaka rabbana wa ilaykal maseer
Rabbana taqabbal minna, bi hurmatil habeeb, Fatiha.
Sufficient Provision for Seekers of the Path of Truth
(Al-Ghunya li-Talibi Tariq al-Haqq)
by Shaikh ‘Abdul Al-Qadir Al-Jilani
- If someone strokes the head of an orphan with his hand on the Day of Ashura, for every hair on the orphan’s head, Allah will promote him by one degree in the Garden of Paradise.
- If someone provides a believer with a meal to break his fast on the night of Ashura, it will be just as if the entire Ummah of Muhammad (saw) had broken fast as his guests, and had filled their stomachs to capacity.
- If someone performs the major ritual ablution (bath) on the Day of Ashura, he will never experience any illness, apart from the sickness of death.
- If someone anoints his eyelids with antimony (ithmid, collyrium, chelak, kohl) on the Day of Ashura, he will not suffer inflammation of the eyes throughout the entire course of that year.
- If someone pays a visit to a sick person on the Day of Ashura, it is just as if he had visited all the children of Adam.
- If someone gives a thirsty person a drink of water on the Day of Ashura, it is just as if he had never disobeyed Allah for a single instant.
- If someone performs four raka’ats of ritual prayer (solat) on the Day of Ashura – reciting in each cycle (raka’at) Surah Al-Fatiha one time, and Surah Al-Ikhlas (Qul hu Allahu ahad…) fifty times – Allah will forgive him the sins of fifty past years, and also for fifty years that are in the future. Allah will also build for him, in the midst of the heavenly host, a thousand Palaces of Light.
- If anyone uses his wealth to treat his dependents (family) with special generosity on the Day of Ashura, Allah will treat that person with special generosity throughout the rest of that year.
- If someone spends the night of Ashura in vigilant worship, and enters upon the morning in a state of fasting, he will die without knowing the agony of death. (the night of Ashura is the night before the Day of Ashura, this year, it is on Wednesday night, 15th December 2010)
- If someone spends the night of Ashura in vigilant worship, Allah will let him live as long as he wishes.
In another Hadees, this is the prayer on that Day:
- The worshipper should perform four raka’ats, with two salutations (salams). In each cycle (raka’at), he must recite:
Surah Al-Fatihah one time
Surah Al-Zalzala (Surah 99) one time
Surah Al-Kafiroon one time
Surah Al-Ikhlas one time
After concluding the prayer, recite Selawat (Darood shareef) on Rasulullah (saw) seventy times.