This post is also available in: Malay
Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s Daily Suhbah
12th October 2010, Tuesday
“Oh My Lord, I surrender!”
A’uzubillah himinsh shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillahir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Maulana pleaded with the Holy ones not to leave the believers alone without guidance, and not to leave them without strengthening their weaknesses. “Don’t leave us behind curtains of darkness of ignorance, remove the veils, and bring to us heavenly lights,” he prayed. Maulana asked humbly to reach heavenly peace and heavenly lights, even if it be just a single ray.
- So many religious teachers believe that, they have reached a complete understanding of the religion, and that the horizon which they are standing on now, is the limit of human understanding. How far away from the truth they are! Behind each horizon, lie countless numbers of horizons of heavenly knowledge. Ask for those knowledge Oceans, as Allah had created those Oceans for us, not for Him. Do you think such Oceans of knowledge are meant to be hidden from humans? Allah has no need for them, so these Oceans have been created for Man to discover!
- Allah has no need for His creation, it is the creation that is in need of Allah. So all that He creates, is not for Him, but it is for the benefit of His servants and His creation. The Children of Adam are the most honoured amongst creation. Man must learn what a great honour Allah has dressed him in! And he must know why!
وَلَقَدۡ كَرَّمۡنَا بَنِىٓ ءَادَمَ
We have honoured the sons of Adam. (Surah Al-Isra' 17:70)
- Oh ulama’, your mission is to inform humans of the great honour that has been granted to them. You must speak of that honour to them. Even Rasulullah (saw) and the Angels have not reached the full limit of knowledge, of how great the honour, karramna (see Ayat above) Allah has bestowed on Man! It is described as Oceans upon Oceans upon Oceans of honour!
- Maulana indicated his surprise that this Ayat above is never taught by religious guides today. Why? Do they consider it as an unimportant Ayat or one that contains no lessons for mankind? Why would Allah send down this Ayat, if it did not contain endless Oceans of Wisdom? But why is it that such teachers do not elaborate on the secrets and lessons contained within this Ayat, or any other Ayat, for that matter? It is because they are too proud to humble themselves before Spiritual Guides, who are connected to the heavens, and who can dispense the Keys to doors leading to Springs of Wisdom, and Fountains of Knowledge. One needs a Heavenly Guide, to peep behind the veils of ignorance, to reach a new Ocean of Knowledge.
وَفَوۡقَ ڪُلِّ ذِى عِلۡمٍ عَلِيمٌ۬
And over every lord of knowledge there is one more knowing. (Surah Yusuf 12:76)
يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ ٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ وَكُونُواْ مَعَ ٱلصَّـٰدِقِينَ
O ye who believe! Fear Allah and be with those who are true (in word and deed). (Surah At-Taubah 9:119)
يَـٰمَعۡشَرَ ٱلۡجِنِّ وَٱلۡإِنسِ إِنِ ٱسۡتَطَعۡتُمۡ أَن تَنفُذُواْ مِنۡ أَقۡطَارِ ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلۡأَرۡضِ فَٱنفُذُواْۚ لَا تَنفُذُونَ إِلَّا بِسُلۡطَـٰنٍ۬
O assembly of Jinn and man! if ye be able to pass out of the regions of the heavens and the earth, then pass out; ye can not pass out except with authority (Sultan). (Surah Ar-Rahman 55:33)
- Ego makes it difficult for a person to accept that there is one more knowledgeable than himself. But Allah has said in the Ayats above, there are those whose knowledge is above yours, and that believers must seek out the Sadiqeen, as they are the ones given the authority to penetrate the regions of the heavens, to take you behind the veils! They are the ones who know the Secrets of the heart. Not every one who claims he is a Guide, is truly one. For a true Guide will take you to the Oceans of Knowledge, behind which are Oceans of Wisdom, behind which are Oceans of Power in the Dominions of Might of Allah Almighty! Allah has honoured the Children of Adam, and has prepared for them untold Oceans of honours….
- You cannot claim to know everything in Islam! Different Prophets brought different teachings and messages, just as each Holy Book, brought insights and keys to different understandings. One Prophet may not know what another Prophet brought to his people. So if there are things that Prophets didn’t know, how is it that some Scholars today call themselves encyclopedias of Islam? These Salafi Scholars, reject the teachings of Tariqah, claiming that it is an innovation, but sadly, they do not understand that it is their way that is rejected. They believe that they have understood the only known tafseer (elaboration/explanation) of the Quran, and when a new tafseer is made of any Ayat, they are suspicious and they reject it. Such scholars carry very heavy burdens, as they have proclaimed themselves as learned ones, and so they are responsible for the guidance of their followers. If they do not do so, they will be punished by Allah, with a heavier punishment than an ordinary one faces.
- Oh believers, humble yourselves! You must admit to yourselves, that you are in constant need of guidance and supervision. Within each Ayat in the Holy Quran, there are endless Oceans of Guidance, each one a bottomless Ocean with no shore in existence. It is foolish and futile, to try and limit the explanation to only what you have already learnt. How can an atom understand an Ocean, Maulana asks? Man is but a small atom, but he has the audacity to reject an Ocean-full of Divine teachings. An atom may understand about itself, but it will never understand the rest of the Ocean of atoms, just as a person may be able to cope with the burdens in his life, but not with the burdens of the rest of humanity.
- Look at how many millions of books have been written to explain the meanings of the Ayats contained in a single book, the Holy Quran! As much as Man is writing, Allah is sending more and more revelations of the secrets of the Quran, and still, all that has been written and understood by Mankind is but one atom of understanding from the Ocean of Understanding itself! Man must realise how small and weak he is….if an atom were to fall into just one Ocean, it will disappear into it. But Allah has given an Oath (in the Ayat above), that He has raised this tiny helpless atom (Children of Adam), as His Khalifa, and granted him unmatched honour!
- What is the Summary of the purpose of the whole Shariah of Islam? It is so that, day by day, the ego becomes weaker and weaker, until it eventually surrenders. At that point, you will say, “I am surrendering, Oh my Lord.” You must surrender to His will. Submit and bow humbly! Don’t fight Him, don’t fight His Will, you will not and cannot win.
- If you have been guided by Allah to find a true teacher/guide, don’t remain silent. Don’t hide in your nests, come forward and proclaim to others, “That person is speaking the truth, follow him!” so that they may also be guided! Allah says,
وَتَعَاوَنُواْ عَلَى ٱلۡبِرِّ وَٱلتَّقۡوَىٰۖ وَلَا تَعَاوَنُواْ عَلَى ٱلۡإِثۡمِ وَٱلۡعُدۡوَٲنِۚ وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَۖ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ شَدِيدُ ٱلۡعِقَابِ
Assist each other to virtue and piety, and assist not each other to sin and transgression, Fear Allah: verily Allah is Severe in chastising. (Surah Al-Ma'idah 5:2)
- Maulana says, this is a Command (wata’aa wanu)! We must assist in piety and goodness. Help spread the teachings and this message, and you will be raised and given honour without boundaries. Spread these teachings, by all means that you have, and bring this message of truth to every human being. “Help me (spread these teachings),” says Maulana, “don’t oppose me.” Anyone who fights against his fellow human, is a shaitan.
يَـٰبَنِىٓ ءَادَمَ أَن لَّا تَعۡبُدُواْ ٱلشَّيۡطَـٰنَۖ
O ye children of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to you an enemy avowed? (Surah Ya-Sin 36:60)
- The enemy of the Children of Adam, is shaitan. So anyone who is an enemy to the Children of Adam, is also a shaitan. We must help each other in goodness, and honour each other, for Man has been given an unimaginable honour, it is an unlimited honour granted to each one of us. But, it is strange that people only show respect to Kings, leaders, rich people and those from the upper echelons. Is that a Divine injunction? So many of such people, have not done their best for their fellow citizens. Instead, they like to keep people grovelling at their feet! Who gave anyone the right to enslave or humiliate another? So many powerful people are abusing those under their charge, until they are hated by their own citizens/subjects/underlings. Has such a command ever been given in any of the Holy books? Upon whose authority are they persecuting those under their rule, when Allah has honoured those whom they are being cruel to?
- Allah has given such an honour to the Children of Adam, so no one has the right to dishonour, disgrace or debase him. Yet, so many are doing so, which is why the Prophet (saw) said, “After the rule of Kings, will be the rule of tyrants.” Tyrants spread corruption all over the earth. Citizens in many countries around the world, are unhappy with their tyrannical leaders and governments. They are victims of repression, suppression, persecution and discrimination. Tyrannical leaders even crush the weak ones ruthlessly and clinically. We are seeing more and more protests and demonstrations, and Maulana fears that some of these protests may even turn violent, until citizens become bold enough to subject their leaders to public hangings. Look at the cycle of violence and evil – when a leader governs with cruelty, the citizens revolt, and mayhem sets in. No human being has the authority to treat another human being, in an inhumane way. Anyone who places a human being under his feet (ie mistreat/abuse), will be on the receiving end of Divine retribution and anger.
- Maulana said, “I am so sorry and unhappy.” He is so, because Rasulullah (saw) was sent with a Universal message of Peace, but that message has drowned in the mudpool of misguided acts of ignorant believers. Rasulullah said in a Hadees, “Aslim taslam”– who submits (in Islam), will attain peace and safety. Islam is safety. So come. Come and surrender to Allah, to your Lord’s Commands, and you will be in safety and under Divine Protection in this world and the hereafter.
- Allah created all of creation, for Man, and He created Man, for Himself. We must set out to discover the hidden Oceans of knowledge, as these were created for us to gain in pleasure, obedience and Station.
- What stops humans from discovering these Oceans? Ego! A proud one feels that he has reached the pinnacle of understanding; that he has ‘completed’ his study. You can never fill a cup that is already filled, so come with an empty cup – be humble, leave your knowledge at the door and then enter to learn. And because of ego, he cannot bring himself to serve at the feet of a Spiritual Master, he feels it is degrading because, after all, he is a Scholar! So the fruit of his basic knowledge was pride, and that pride became a veil (hijab) preventing him from acquiring true knowledge.
- Knowledge will lead people in two directions, depending on intention. For some, they become prouder and prouder because of their increasing knowledge, these are people whose veil grows thicker with each passing moment. For these, they face a terrifying end, as that was the same path taken by iblis! The ego grows wilder and stronger by day, since they were insincere ones.
- For sincere ones, knowledge leads them to humility and taqwa. Their egos become tamer and tamer, until they are completely subdued. Such a blessed one says, “I surrender, oh my Lord.” No longer is he a fish out of water, struggling; this blessed fish now dives deeper and deeper into the depths of the ocean. Islam means submission to the Will of Allah. How many of us have really done that?
- Maulana calls upon us all to help him spread these teachings, as Allah commanded that we help in piety and taqwa. (www.SufiHub.com has been set up purely for this purpose, and when I informed Shaykh Nazim about it, he was very pleased with it. Alhamdulillah. So please help too, in any way that you are able to).
- We must ponder the fact that Allah has honoured all Children of Adam, regardless who he is, with unlimited honour. No one has the right to inflict suffering on, or to disrespect anyone, no matter how lowly his worldly status is. Treat everyone with respect, restrain your tongues from mutilating them, think good of them, pray for them, and be forgiving and patient with them all. Respect them all, for His sake. If He did not love them, He would not have created them.
If you would like to listen to the actual Suhbah by Maulana Shaykh Nazim when it was recorded, please click here. Once at the site, please click on the Sohbat 12 Oct 2010.
Maulana Shaykh Nazim teaches daily, at 1720 hours GMT, please go to www.Saltanat.org to attend these illuminating lessons. There are no charges to attend these lessons, they are completely free-of-charge. These transcripts and Study materials are found at the Singapore Naqshbandi portal, www.SufiHub.com, these are also completely free-of-charge.